Vincent Black Lightning
Â£200000 - 220000*
Developed from the Rapide and Black Shadow, the Black Lightning was conceived as a racing variant of the illustrious Stevenage vee twins and for many represents the pinnacle of the lines development. The new model differed from the Black Shadow in a number of areas, Amal TT carburettors were fitted and straight through exhaust pipes graced the machine. Attention was focused on reducing the overall weight of the model with aluminium wheel rims replacing the standard steel items, alloy brake plates, dural footrest supports and mudguards being employed. The first example of the Black Lightning, bearing engine number F10AB/1C/1320 was tested on the 10th January 1949 before being despatched to Cimic in Buenos Aires, Argentina on the 17th January 1949. The build record card indicates that it was originally scheduled to be built as a Series C Rapide, the order subsequently changing to a Black Shadow and finally to the original Black Lightning, a name that conjured up the ultimate speed machine.
The vendor became aware of the machine when, in 1989, the then VOC Registrar told him that he thought he had been contacted by the owner of the "First Lightning". A visit by the vendor to Buenos Aires confirmed that it was indeed the first Lightning and following its purchase it was returned to the UK to undergo a seven year rebuild using the Works Order Form as a reference for the specification. Following its completion it has been used in parades, such as the VOC lap of the TT course in 2007 and secured the Best Vincent award at the clubs Annual Rally in 2000 and Best in Show at the 2005 Stafford Classic Bike Show. Accompanied by an MOT certificate valid until the 26th June 2013, a road fund licence valid until the end of June 2013 and a Swansea V5C this significant machine is road legal seeing occasional use on the road. A Vincent Owners Club dating certificate is provided with the motorcycle, noting that it has had a replacement frame, together with a copy of the Works Order Form.
Imperial War Museum Duxford